Josephus - Carta's Illustrated The Jewish War
A modern reading of Josephus’ ancient text, profusely illustrated, and placed against its geographical historical background. This newest and unique edition of The Jewish War handsomely augments Whiston's English translation of Josephus' eyewitness account with state-of-the-art maps, pictures, and illustrations that bring clarity and new life to this gripping event of the final days of the Second Temple. The reader is guided from the arrival of Antiochus Epiphanes to the fall of Masada.
Josephus Flavius (Joseph ben Mattityahu; c.37-100) was a Jewish historian and one of the leaders of the Jewish revolt against Rome. He witnessed the events leading up to the destruction of the Second Temple and its aftermath. His major works, The Jewish War and Antiquities of the Jews, are the main historical sources for the study of the last days of Second Temple times.
• 40 maps illustrating the events recorded by Josephus referenced to the latest scholarly research (The Carta Bible Atlas, The Sacred Bridge: Carta’s Atlas of the Biblical World, and more);
• 175 illustrations of sites, archaeological finds, landscapes, artifacts, and artist’s renditions;
• Easy name search for: Persons (red); Places (blue); References (green).
Table of Contents:
- Users' Guide
- Preface by Josephus
- Book I - From the taking of Jerusalem by Antiochus Epiphanes, to the death of Herod the Great
- Book II - From the Death of Herod Till Vespasian was sent to subdue the jews by Nero
- Book III - From Vespasian's coming to subdue the Jews to the taking of Gamalas
- Book IV - From the siege of Gamala to the coming of Titus to besiege Jerusalem
- Book V - From the coming of Titus to besiege Jerusalem to the great extremity to which the Jews were reduced
- Book VI - From the great extremity to which the Jews were reduced to the taking of Jerusalem
- Book VII - From the taking of Jerusalem by Titus to the sedition of the Jews at Cyrene
- Index to persons
- Index to places
Hard Cover, 232 pages, 9 x 12 in. (22.5 x 29.7 cm)
Featuring: Maps, Illustrations,Photographs, Full Color, Index, Bibliography
Imported from Israel